Wetlands of West Africa
Spectacular views, fantastic bird watching, vibrant cities and palm-fringed beaches
Senegal and Gambia are renowned for their fantastic bird life and vibrant culture. Boasting large numbers of avian species (610 and 540 respectively) within a small area, they are excellent destinations for bird enthusiasts. Whilst this trip is designed to visit the region's best birding spots in Djoudj N.P., Sine Saloum and the Gambia River, we also explore lively Dakar, historic Goree and colonial St. Louis, getting a taste for the region's rich culture.
- Enjoy world class birdwatching
- Experience Gambia’s interior
- Learn about the vibrant local culture
- 2 nights basic hotels, 4 nights standard hotels, 2 nights comfortable hotels, most en suite with 2 nights shared ablutions
- Travel by minibus and motorised boat
- Accompanied by a specialist bird-watching guide
- Day 1 – Fly to Dakar
- Day 2 – Optional morning city tour; afternoon visit to Goree Island.
- Day 3 – Visit Lac Rose; on to St. Louis.
- Day 4 – Bird watching Djoudj N.P.; afternoon St. Louis city tour.
- Day 5 – To Toubakouta via Touba Mosque.
- Day 6 – Bird watching in Sine Saloum Delta.
- Day 7 – To Kanteur, Gambia; afternoon walk through villages and baobabs.
- Day 8 – Full day on the Gambia River, bird watching, visiting Baboon N.P. and Wassu Stone Circles.
- Day 9 – Depart Gambia
- Day 10 – Arrive London